- Parc Saint Pierre – 62100 CALAIS
- Tél : 03 21 34 21 57
- Fax : 03 21 96 01 92
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Free visit : Adults : 5€ – Child (under 14) : 4€ Groups (minimun 10 persons) 4€ Family budget : 2 adults + 2 children (under 14) : 13€
- Visit with audio guide : Individuals : 8€ Groups (minimun 10 persons) and chidren : 6€
Tourist Office management and in conjunction with Amis du Vieux Calais
12 Bd Clémenceau 62100 CALAIS
Tél 0033(0)3 21 96 42 40
- 15th February to 31th March : open 11 am – 5 pm, closed on tuesday
- April and September : open everyday 11am – 5.30pm
- From 1st May to 31th August : open every day 10am – 6 pm
- From 1st October to 15th November : open evey day 12am – 5pm Closed on tuesday
- Access avalaible for wheelchair users.
The war museum
The museum is in the Park Saint Pierre opposite the Town Hall. It is a genuine german Navy command post which now holds uniforms, weapons, documents and many other original items. A visit of Calais Second World War museum is an opportunity for you to know what took place here during these tragic years and what could have happened to the British people and therefore to the whole world if the “fighting spirit” had been overcome.
Into the War
The so-called “phoney War” became established in the area. The British Expeditionary Force, the 7th French Army, Air and Navy took up positions.
The Green Jackets regiment distinguished itself during the battle of Calais in May 1940 alongside French troops. Calais remenbers them.
Everyday objects in a soldier’s life. Various utensils and small arms ammunition.
Events under the Occupation described in the newspapers of the period. Propaganda – Information ?
The battle of Britain with daily raids. Display of pieces of the aircrafts shot down in the region – engines, machine guns, etc.
German secret weapons
Original documents explaining how the TODT Organisation built the secret bases for V1 V2 and V3 in the region.
Equipment and uniforms from the German Navy.
A fine model plus documents depict the most powerful long range gun of the Atlantic Wall located 10km south west of Calais.
Prisoners of war
One room of the museum is devoted to prisoners of war with an impressive model of a camp items and original documents.
Charles de Gaulle
The activities of general de Gaulle during the Second World War. (The General, as a young officer married Mademoiselle Vendroux in Calais and retained a keen interest in the Town, and surrounding area thereafter).
Coastal support position
Reconstruction of a defence post in the sand dunes. The German sentries maintain surveillance ready to sound the alert if necessary.
Display of the Second World War weapons.
The museum has an excellent collection of posters and uniforms derived from the various countries at war. Audio guide An audio guide system is available for the visitors in a vatiety of languages (English, German, Dutch, French) Conditions available at the reception desk.